Human activity during interaction with technology is involuntary reflected in eye movements. Prior research focused on pupillary responses, and more recently on fixation, saccades and smooth pursuit as a source for feature extraction. However, employed techniques and chosen features differ across research and experiments. The background knowledge about the feasible features and their sensitivity to human cognition and other aspects of interactive behavior is missing. I investigate the potentials of machine learning and pattern recognition approaches in eye-tracking and focuses on relation between eye movements, features and aspects of social, emotional, cognitive and other behavioral states.
- Vrzakova, H., Amon, M. J., Stewart, A. E. B, and D'Mello, S. K. Dynamics of Visual Attention in Multiparty Collaborative Problem Solving using Multidimensional Recurrence Quantification Analysis. In Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '19). 2019. ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 342, 14 pages. PDF
- Amon, M. J., Vrzakova, H, D'Mello, S. K. Beyond dyadic coordination: Multimodal behavioral irregularity in triadspredicts facets of collaborative problem solving. Accepted to Cognitive Science. 2019.
- R. Bednarik, L. Budde, B. Heinemann, C. Schulte, H. Vrzakova. Eye-movement Modeling Examples in Source Code Comprehension: A Classroom StudyIn 18th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research, 2018
- T. Leppänen, H. Vrzakova, R. Bednarik, A. Kanervisto, A.P. Elomaa, A. Huotarinen, P. Bartczak, M. von zu Fraunberg, J. E. Jääskeläinen. Augmenting Microsurgical Training: Microsurgical Instrument Detection Using Convolutional Neural Networks IEEE 31st International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS), Karlstad, 2018, pp. 211-216. PDF
- P. Bartczak, H. Vrzakova, R. Bednarik, M. Iso-Mustajarvi, M. Hauta-Kasari, J. E. Jääskeläinen, M. von zu Fraunberg. Spectral Video in Image-guided Microsurgical Applications: Integrating Imaging Technology into the Clinical Environment and Ergonomic Considerations.IEEE 31st International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS), Karlstad, 2018, pp. 286-291. PDF
- R. Bednarik, J. Koskinen, H. Vrzakova, P. Bartczak and A. Elomaa. Blink-Based Estimation of Suturing Task Workload and Expertise in Microsurgery. IEEE 31st International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS), Karlstad, 2018, pp. 233-238. PDF
- R. Bednarik, P. Bartczak, H. Vrzakova, J. Koskinen, A.P. Elomaa, A. Huotarinen, D. Gil de Gomez Perez, M. von und zu Fraunberg. Pupil size as an indicator of visual-motor workload and expertise in microsurgical training. In ACM ETRA'18.
- A. Begel and H. Vrzakova. Eye movements in code review. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Eye Movements in Programming (EMIP '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 5, 5 pages. PDF
- S. Park, Ch. Gebhardt, R. Rädle, A. M. Feit, H. Vrzakova, N. Ramesh Dayama, H.S. Yeo, C. N. Klokmose, A. Quigley, A. Oulasvirta, O. Hilliges. AdaM: Adapting Multi-User Interfaces for Collaborative Environments in Real-Time. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 184, 14 pages. PDF
- Nguyen, D., Vrzakova, H., and Bednarik, R. WTP: web-tracking plugin for real-time automatic AOI annotations. In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing: Adjunct (UbiComp '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1696-1705. PDF
- Vrzakova, H., Bednarik, R., Nakano, Y., and Nihei, F. Speakers' head and gaze dynamics weakly correlate in group conversation. In Proceedings of the Ninth Biennial ACM Symposium on Eye Tracking Research & Applications (ETRA '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 77-84. PDF
- Vrzakova, H. and Bednarik, R. Quiet Eye Affects Action Detection from Gaze more than Context Length In Proceedings of User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP). Springer, 2015 PDF
- Vrzakova, H., Bednarik, R., Nakano, Y., and Nihei, F.. Influential statements and gaze for persuasion modeling. In Proceedings of the 8th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Fun, Fast, Foundational (NordiCHI '14). ACM, 2014 PDF
Dao, T., Bednarik, R. and Vrzakova,H.: Heatmap rendering from large-scale distributed datasets using cloud computing In Proceedings of the Symposium on Eye Tracking Research and Applications (ETRA '14), ACM, 2014
Vrzakova, H. and Bednarik, R.: EyeCloud: Cloud Computing for Pervasive Eye-Tracking. In 3rd International Workshop on Pervasive Eye Tracking and Mobile Eye-Based Interaction, 2013
Vrzakova, H. and Bednarik, R.: Fast and Comprehensive Extension to Intention Prediction from Gaze. In Interacting with Smart Objects, Intelligent User Interfaces(IUI '13). ACM, 2013
Vrzakova, H. and Bednarik, R.: That's not Norma(n/l)! A Detailed Analysis of Midas Touch in Gaze-based Problem-solving. CHI '13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA '13). ACM, 2013
Vrzakova, H.: Computational approaches to visual attention for interaction inference Proceedings of the companion publication of the 2013 international conference on Intelligent user interfaces companion (IUI '13 Companion). ACM 2013.
Vrzakova, H.: Inferential methods in interaction, usability and user experience In CHI '13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in
Computing Systems (CHI EA '13). ACM, 2013
PDF Acceptance rate: 20%
Vrzakova, H.: Computational approaches to visual attention analysis for usability and
user experience. In Book of abstract Multidisciplinary Dialogue Summer School, 2012
Vrzakova, H. & Bednarik, R.: Hard lessons learned: Mobile eye-tracking in cockpits.
In Gaze-In'12, October 26, 2012, Santa Monica, California, USA
Bednarik, R., Eivazi, S., Vrzakova, H.: A computational approach
for prediction of problem-solving behavior using Support Vector
Machines and eye-tracking data. In Eye Gaze in
Intelligent Human Computer Interaction, Springer, 2013.
Bednarik, R., Vrzakova, H., Hradis, M.: What you want to do
next: A novel approach for intent prediction in gaze-based
interaction. In proceedings of ETRA'12, pp. 83-90.PDF Best paper honorable mention.
Bednarik, R., Kinnunnen, T., Eivazi, S., Sedlak, F., &
Vrzakova, H.: Beyond AOIs: Classification and prediction methods in
gaze data analysis in biometrics, problem solving, and
interaction.. ECEM 2011.
Awards and scholarships
- UEF Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015
- CHI Doctoral Consortium Award, 2013
- ECSE 1year position, 2013
- eCOST TUTOREM travel grant, 2012
- ECSE travel grant, 2012
- ACM ETRA: Best paper honorable mentioned, 2012
- Scholarship of Cross Border University,2.5 year position 2012