Professor Erkki Sutinen's Homepage
Education Academic experience
Research interests and work in progress Business experience
Previously received research funding Academic activities
Invited or guest lectures and tutorials Ph.D. students
Selection of other courses given M.Sc. students
Verified qualifications for a professorship Awards
Professional society memberships Selected publications
Contact Information Personal
Education to the top
Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Helsinki, 1998.
Approximate Pattern Matching with the q-Gram Family.
Supervised by Prof. Esko Ukkonen and Prof. Jorma Tarhio.
Ph.Lic. Computer Science, University of Helsinki, 1996.
Using q-Grams in Approximate Pattern Matching.
Supervised by Prof. Esko Ukkonen and Prof. Jorma Tarhio.
M.Sc. Mathematics, University of Helsinki, 1986.
Torus as a Riemann Surface.
Supervised by Prof. Lauri Myrberg.
Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Helsinki, 1998.
Studies in theology and education
University of Helsinki
Academic experience to the top
2001- Department of Computer Science, University of Joensuu. Full professor.
1999-01 Department of Computer Science, University of Joensuu. Acting professor.
Introduction to Computer Science
Introduction to the theory of computation
Intelligent learning environments
Computer science teaching
2000-01 Department of Science and Technology, University of Linköping. Associate professor (Swedish: universitetslektor) of Computer Science.
Introduction to databases
1998-99 Department of Computer Sciences, Purdue University. Visiting assistant professor.
Programming in C
1997-98 Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki. Assistant professor.
Computer-aided learning environments
Computers in special needs education
Other teaching activities:
Mentoring: small group sessions on professional issues for second year CS students
1994-97 Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki. Researcher.
Project, research topic and funding:
Animation-aided problem solving, algorithm animation, Ministry of Education, Finland.
August - December, 1997.
Algorithms and Data Structures, q-gram based approximate string matching,
Academy of Finland, 1994 – 96.
1990-94 Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki. Teaching assistant.
1981-87 Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki. Teaching assistant.
Programming in Pascal
Introduction to computing
Research interests and work in progress to the top
· Computer Science education
· Leader of the development group for virtual studies of university-level introductory Computer Science for high school students (funded by the Ministry of Education). University of Joensuu, Finland, 2000-2003.
· Initiator of designing Computer Science education for students coming from developing countries. The first two Tanzanian students with a B.Sc. background started in Fall 2000. Funded by the Missionary Union of Finnish Businessmen. University of Joensuu, Finland, 2000-2002.
· educational technology
· Supervisor of a Ph.D. thesis on cognitive learning difficulties; see Ph.D. students.
· Director of a research team on Thinking Tools for the Net (http://cs.joensuu.fi/pages/avt/). The idea is to reinforce understanding and reflection on the web-based data by visual and intelligent information retrieval methods.
· Contextual educational technology. Joint research with Dr. Esko Kähkönen, University of Joensuu.
· Designing a web-based course on Networks in Organizational Learning, to be used by the Finnish Cognitive Science Network (Connet). Cooperation with Prof. Heikki Topi (Bentley College, Waltham, MA, USA) and Dr. Marko Turpeinen (Alma Media Corporation, Finland).
· visualization methods
· Program visualization software for learning of introductory programming (Eliot, Jeliot). In cooperation with Prof. Mordechai Ben-Ari (Weizmann Institute of Science).
· Text visualization (concept mapping, woven stories). In cooperation with Prof. Piet Kommers (University of Twente). See also Thinking Tools in the Net above.
· Initiator of a novel research and instruction field on how to teach computing concepts and processes based on learners’ cultural background. University of Joensuu, Finland, 2000-.
· string algorithms
· Cooperation with Prof. Wojciech Szpankowski (Purdue University) and Prof. Jorma Tarhio (Helsinki University of Technology).
Previously received research funding to the top
2001-02 Thinking tools for the net. 1 million FIM, funded by the National Technology Agency.
Business experience to the top
1988-90 Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Mission. System designer responsible for designing an extensive information system for a heterogeneous systems environment, based on a client-server architecture.
1995 Consultant of educational technology in Kidugala Secondary School, Tanzania.
2000 Training consultant for an undisclosed corporate client. Taught a two-day introduction to the theory of computation, starting from the company’s interests in compiler design.
Academic activities to the top
· Guest editor of a special issue on Program Visualization in the Journal of Visual Languages and Computing. Co-editor: Dr. John Domingue, Open University.
· Referee in the following journals: Software-Practice and Experience, Journal of Computer in Mathematics and Science Teaching, Random Structures and Algorithms.
· Referee in the following conferences: Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), SIGCSE Technical Symposium, annual international conference on computational molecular biology (RECOMB), Learning Technology and Telematics in Education and Training (LeTTET).
· Referee of a textbook manuscript for Addison-Wesley.
· Consultant in q-gram string algorithms. Purdue University, Department of Computer Sciences, October 1997.
· Chair of the program committee for the Program Visualization Workshop, University of Joensuu, Finland, July 2000.
· Editor of the proceedings for the Program Visualization Workshop, University of Joensuu, Finland, July 2000.
· Member of the program committee for the IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2002).
· Member of the programme committee for the First International Conference on Educational Technology in Cultural Context (www.joensuu.fi/isvy/contextedutech/c_index.html).
· Member of the conference committee for the 5th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2000), Helsinki, Finland, July 2000. Responsible for organizing the working groups.
· Editor of the working group reports for the 5th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2000), Helsinki, Finland, July 2000.
· Moderator of the panel on Future challenges in program visualization at the 5th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2000), Helsinki, Finland, July 2000.
· Moderator of the panel on Do we need contextual, culture sensitive educational technology ? at ICCE 2001, Seoul, Korea.
· Panelist at the panel on Teaching inter-institutional courses - sharing challenges and resources at the 5th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2000), Helsinki, Finland, July 2000.
· Chair and organizer of the summer school on Adaptive Educational Systems, arranged by East Finland Universities Graduate School in Computer Science and Engineering. August 2000.
· Chair of a committee to compose the IT strategy for University of Joensuu for years 2002-2006.
· Member of the development board for the Eastern Finland Virtual University, cooperation between University of Joensuu, University of Kuopio, and Lappeenranta University of Technology. Funded by the Ministry of Education.
· Member of the board of the Thinking Tools for the Net research project. The project, scheduled for 2000-2003, is funded by the National Technology Agency (Tekes) and three companies: Sonera, Sordino Information Systems, and Karjalan Tietovalta / Novo Group. See http://cs.joensuu.fi/pages/avt/.
· Member of the ECIU (www.eciu.org) study group on web based learning.
· Member of the scientific committee for LeTTET 2000, University of Joensuu, Finland, October 2000.
· Member of the organizing committee of the Sixth Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching (CPM ’95), Espoo, Finland, 1995.
· Member of a working group at the 2nd Annual Conference on Integrating Technology into Computer Science Education (ITiCSE '97), Uppsala, Sweden, 1997.
· Member of a focus group at IFIP TC3/WG3.2 International Conference on Informatics (computer science) as a Discipline and in Other Disciplines: what is common? Enschede, The Netherlands, 1997.
Ph.D. students to the top
· Jaakko Kurhila, University of Helsinki. Ahmed: an adaptive learning environment for students with difficulties in mental programming. Ph.Lic. completed in 1999, Ph.D. scheduled 2001. Joint supervisor: Professor Matti Mäkelä, University of Helsinki.
· Susanna Pöntinen, University of Joensuu. Designing student counseling services on the Web. Joint supervisor: Assoc. Prof. Marja Kuittinen, University of Joensuu.
· Jarkko Suhonen, University of Joensuu. Semi-automatic assessment of programming exercises. Joint supervisor: Dr. Colin Higgins, U. Nottingham.
· Sirpa Torvinen, University of Joensuu. Indicators of the learning process in a virtual programming course. Joint supervisor: Prof. Veijo Meisalo, University of Helsinki.
M.Sc. students to the top
· Kari Huttunen: Scanning in approximate string matching, 1996. Joint supervisor: Prof. Jorma Tarhio.
· Arne Dybdahl: Animation with Excel, 1999. Joint supervisor: Prof. Jorma Tarhio.
· Martti Wuolijoki: Tuning and comparison of algorithms. Joint supervisor: Prof. Jorma Tarhio.
· Erkki Vikeväinen: Computer-supported evaluation of a learning process, 1999.
· Pekka Manninen: On the average-case analysis for q-gram based pattern matching algorithms, 2000.
· Jarkko Suhonen: Metadata in intelligent learning environments, 2000.
· Arto Haataja: Excel, Jeliot and BlueJ as visualization tools in Computer Science education, 2001.
· Marko Karjunen: User profiles and user modeling methods in expert systems, 2001. Joint supervisor: Prof. Jorma Tarhio.
· Sirpa Torvinen: Difficulties to learn programming in virtual environments, 2001. Joint supervisor: Prof. Veijo Meisalo.
· Tiina Simonen: Computer-assisted language learning for adults, 2001.
· Ramin Miraftabi: Using social agents in algorithm animations. A case study with Seal, 2001.
Invited or guest lectures and tutorials to the top
· The role of a computer scientist in educational technology.
Invited lecture at Ajou University, Korea. November 2001.
Invited presentation at Nordiska universitetsadministratörssamarbetet Storseminarium. August 2001.
· Perspectives on Program Animation with Jeliot.
Presentation at an invitation-only Dagstuhl Seminar, Germany. May, 2001.
· A Computer Science course on creative problem solving?
Guest lecture at Duke University. February 2001.
· Eliot and Jeliot: Visual Learning Tools for Programming.
Invited lecture at LEARNTEC 2000, Karlsruhe. February 2000.
· Evaluating the average filtration efficiency of a q-gram based approximate pattern matching algorithm.
· Presentation at Tiina Simonen: Computer-assisted language learning for adults, 2001.
· Ramin Miraftabi: Using social agents in algorithm animations. A case study with Seal, 2001.
the Sixth (invitation-only) Seminar on the Analysis of Algorithms. Krynica Morska, Poland. July 2000.
· Visions for educational delivery applications.
Invited presentation at LeTTET 2001, University of Joensuu, Finland. October 2000.
Also presented at a regional seminar on information society, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Lappeenranta, Finland. November 2000.
· Ethical aspects of using information technology at school.
Invited lecture. University of Joensuu, December 1999. University of Oulu, November 2000.
· How to design virtual environments for Computer Science education?
Invited presentation at a seminar organized by National program for developing Finnish knowledge in mathematics and sciences. Ministry of Education, Helsinki, Finland. November 2000.
· Guest or trial lectures given at University of Dar es Salaam (1998), Montana State University (1999), University of Linköping (trial lecture, 1999), University of Vaasa (trial lecture, 2000).
· Tutorial on Computer uses in the youth activities of churches, World Council of Churches, Geneva (1994).
Selection of other courses given to the top
2000 Web-based learning environments. Summer University of Kuopio.
1995-97 Introductory mathematics in computing. Department of General Linguistics, University of Helsinki.
1995-98 Introductory mathematics in computing, Data structures, Visual Basic programming, Presentation skills. Espoo-Vantaa Institute of Technology.
Awards to the top
· University of Helsinki contest of teaching technology prize 1997
· first prize in Series II (plans), with Jaakko Kurhila and Matti Mäkelä
· honorable mention in Series I (implementations), with Jorma Tarhio and Tommi Teräsvirta
Verified qualifications for a professorship to the top
· University of Vaasa, Finland; first position, 2000. Teaching proficiency evaluated 4/5.
· University of Kuopio, Finland, first position, 2000.
· University of Joensuu, Finland; third position, 1999.
· Helsinki University of Technology, Finland; third position, 1999.
Professional society memberships to the top
· Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
· SIGCSE (Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education)
Selected publications to the top
V. Meisalo, E. Sutinen, J. Tarhio: Modern Learning Environments (in Finnish). Tietosanoma, 2000.
E. Sutinen: Computers and change in mission. International Review of Mission LXXXIII, 331 (1994), 585-594.
E. Rautama, E. Sutinen, J. Tarhio: Supporting learning process with concept map scripts. Journal of Interactive Learning Research 8, 3/4 (1997), 407-420.
J. Kärkkäinen, E. Sutinen: Lempel-Ziv index for q-grams. Algorithmica 21 (1998), 137-154.
S.-P. Lahtinen, E. Sutinen, J. Tarhio: Automated animation of algorithms with Eliot. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing 9, 3 (1998), 337-349.
J. Kurhila, E. Sutinen: Sharing an open learning space by individualizing agents. Journal of Interactive Learning Research 10, No 3/4, 1999, 287-300.
T. Harviainen, M. Hassinen, P. Kommers, E. Sutinen: Co-authoring stories over the internet. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning 9, No 2/3/4, 328-341.
E. Sutinen, J. Tarhio, T. Teräsvirta: Easy algorithm animation on the Web. Accepted for Multimedia Tools and Applications.
Personal to the top
· Born: December 22, 1959. Merikarvia, Finland.
· Gender: Male
· Marital status: Married, four children
· Citizenship: Finland
· Language skills: Fluent English, Swedish, and Finnish. Satisfactory in German. Read French.
· Activities: photography, traveling
Contact information to the top
University of Joensuu:
Postal address: Department of Computer Science, University of Joensuu, P. O. Box 111, FIN-80101 Joensuu, Finland
Telephone (office): +358-13-251 7934
Fax (office): +358-13-251 7955
Links to the top
Educational Technology in the Department of Computer Science
Educational Technology in Cultural Context
Downloads to the top
Kids Club (Rtf)